Sunday, January 29, 2012

Pencil neck


pencilneck-1 I am getting a pencil neck. The atrophy in the neck region is now evident. I didn’t notice it a couple of years ago, but it has become more prominent within the last nine months. And, with the atrophy I noticed that many evenings and occasionally even in the afternoon my neck muscles just do not want to hold up my head. Sometimes I have cramping or pain, but most of the time it is just weakness that I experience.

I have seen this condition in several others with Kennedy’s Disease and my brother has experienced the problem for the last ten years or so. For some reason I thought I was immune. I continue to perform neck exercises every day and they seem to help, but something has happened recently that I cannot explain.

neck muscles1 I attribute some of the problem to working too many hours on the computer. I know that several days this winter I spent more than four hours at the PC without any breaks. A few days I probably spent close to eight hours working at the PC. I found if I spend less time at the computer and schedule more breaks, the neck fatigue is not evident or not quite as bad. This last week I spent an hour or so mid-afternoon in my recliner using a neck pillow (dog-bone). It seemed to help.

My questions for you are:
1. Are you having any neck weakness issues?
2. If so, is there anything that you have found that helps?

I look forward to hearing from you.

4 comments:

  1. I have been experiencing neck pain and weakness for some time. Usually, i just sit back in my easy chair when I get tired. On others days, I use a soft neck brace. It supports my head and eases the neck pain. Here is an example.
    http://www.painreliever.com/scott_3005.html#ProdDetails

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stan, thanks for commenting. I was hoping I wouldn't need a brace, but I might have to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Bruce, I am sorry to hear your neck is not feeling well. Here are a few suggestions.

    First, you may have an ergonomic issue. The center of your computer monitor should be at eye level when you are looking straight ahead. You may need a chair or monitor stand to get it at the right level. I used to put my monitor on a phone book for that reason.

    If you are working at the computer for eight hours straight, that is too long. Try taking a 10-minute break every hour, move around and relax.

    Does your exercise program include any neck exercises? You might want to try some. Fortunately, the average human head weighs about 5 kg or 11 pounds, so that is all the weight you need. Try this: allow your head to sink slowly and gently to the side, until your ear nearly touches your shoulder; then return the head to the upright position. Try doing 10 reps of this on each side twice a day, then gradually increase as you can handle it. Also look into the Shaker (swallowing) exercise on the KDA forum, which is good for the neck too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for responding. I do several neck exercises every day including the ones you mentioned. My monitor is too low and needs to be raised about six inches. It is because I had to raise my office chair to make it possible to get up afterwards. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment. By taking a moment to share your thoughts you add much to these articles. The articles then become more than just something I said or believe. In addition, by adding a comment, you might just be helping the next reader by sharing your opinion, experience, or a helpful tip. You can comment below or by sending me an email. I look forward to hearing from you.