Unfortunately, since there is no generic substitute, it is expensive. However, if it could slow the progression or improve my strength, it would be worth it.
For several years I have taken a ‘wait and see’ attitude. This is my first venture into the world of potential treatments.
My logic appears to be sound (or desperate).
- Since there is not clinical trial on the near horizon.
- And, if, on average, we lose 2% of our strength each year.
- And, if, on average, the clinical trial group taking the drug did see a 2% improvement in strength.
- And, if I do not experience any negative side-effects.
- And, if I am one of the fortunate ones that the drug works on.
- Then, it is a win for me!
It appears, from reading the clinical trial results, that the ‘worst case’ scenario would be that dutasteride does not work for me. It would be disappointing news, but I least I gave it my best shot. Only time will tell and it appears that time is what is needed to truly test the drug.