Thursday, September 6, 2012

How to handle Stress

I receive this email from my brother today and it came at a good time.  Yes, it is simple, common sense advice, but it never hurts to be reminded once in a while.

Those of us living with Kennedy's Disease know how stress can exacerbate our symptoms.  We need to be aware of our tolerance for stress and act accordingly. 
________________________________ 

A young lady confidently walked around the room while explaining stress management to an audience. As she raised a glass of water, everyone was sure she was going to ask the ultimate question: 'Half empty or half full?'

However, she fooled them all.

"How heavy is this glass of water?" she inquired with a smile.

Answers called out ranged from 8 oz. to 20 oz.

She replied, "The absolute weight doesn't matter. It depends on how long I hold it. If I hold it for a minute, that's not a problem. If I hold it for an hour, I'll have an ache in my right arm. If I hold it for a day, you'll have to call an ambulance. In each case it's the same weight, but the longer I hold it, the heavier it becomes."

She continued, "That's the way it is with stress. If we carry our burdens with us all the time, sooner or later, as the burden becomes increasingly heavy, we won't be able to carry on." 

work-stress

"As with the glass of water, we have to put stress aside for a while and rest before picking it up again. So, as early in the evening as you can, put all your worries aside and focus on your family and friends. Don't carry the stress around with you through the evening and into the night. Then when we're refreshed, we will find it easier to carry the burden.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment. By taking a moment to share your thoughts you add much to these articles. The articles then become more than just something I said or believe. In addition, by adding a comment, you might just be helping the next reader by sharing your opinion, experience, or a helpful tip. You can comment below or by sending me an email. I look forward to hearing from you.