Sunday, February 25, 2018

How Can I Help?



Acceptance is something I have written about several times over the years. Unfortunately, it is not a light switch that can just be turned on. It is not something that automatically means you are happy again or brings you comfort. In fact, there are still things in my life that I have not fully accepted yet.

This process of rediscovery is a never-ending journey for me. Every time I accept something new about my condition and myself, it is like another awakening. In addition, whenever I find a new way to express myself and help others, it opens another door.

Several years ago, I was watching "Saturday Night Lights." The high school football team was down 26 to zero at the end of the first half. The coach ended his halftime pep talk to his players with the following. "Every man at some point in his life is going to lose a battle. He is going to fight and he is going to lose. What makes him a man is that in the midst of the battle he does not lose himself."

Dr. Phil says it another way, "What happens in your life will affect you, but it does not have to define you."

As I travel life’s highway, I need to focus on the moment, forget about the past, and not be too concerned about the future. The only thing I have any control over is this my attitude at this moment.   


Another favorite saying of mine is, "Nothing comes into existence uninvited." If I worry about what could be, it will probably come to pass (or maybe even something worse). On the other hand, if I focus on what I can do today to make a difference for others, then the past and the future really does not matter.

So, my question for you is...


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment. By taking a moment to share your thoughts you add much to these articles. The articles then become more than just something I said or believe. In addition, by adding a comment, you might just be helping the next reader by sharing your opinion, experience, or a helpful tip. You can comment below or by sending me an email. I look forward to hearing from you.