Friday, May 5, 2017

What—Me Worry?

Many of my friends and family believe I accept living with Kennedy’s Disease better than most. I’m not so certain about that. I know of many men that are well centered and accepting. Perhaps we just hide it better than others do. Or, we aren’t smart enough to understand what is happening. Whatever the reason, I’m comfortable being this way.

I have my down days. I still wonder what the future has in store for me. Probably the only difference is that I don’t dwell on these thoughts. I am too busy ‘living’ to wallow in the muck of uncertainty.

Meditation helps put things in perspective. There is something called ‘noting’ that works for me. Whenever I find myself dwelling on a thought, I notice it (acknowledge it), apply a label to it (oh, that’s a fear of what might happen to me), and move on. I don’t study it or try to understand it; I just notice the thought and then discard it by refocusing on my breathing. If I tell myself to forget it, or force myself to think of something else, it won’t work. But, by just acknowledging the thought and then refocusing on my breath, it no longer is important and stops nagging me.

I also have a couple of good hobbies and social events that allow me to focus on something productive. If I’m engaged in an activity or a conversation, negativity can’t seem to wedge its way into my thoughts.

I’ll give you an example of a recent event. At the beginning of the year, I was in a long slide that had me concerned. If things didn’t change, my daily life would be transformed—and not in a positive way. After a couple of days of wallowing, I ‘noted’ it, and then refocused.

Almost immediately, my thoughts redirected to what I could do and what has helped in the past. I gradually worked my way through the issue and am better now (stronger) than before I started.

We are all human. We have concerns and fears. However, that doesn’t mean they have to control our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment. By taking a moment to share your thoughts you add much to these articles. The articles then become more than just something I said or believe. In addition, by adding a comment, you might just be helping the next reader by sharing your opinion, experience, or a helpful tip. You can comment below or by sending me an email. I look forward to hearing from you.