Thursday, March 8, 2012

I + V = A

angerA subject that comes up occasionally with those of us with Kennedy’s Disease is ANGER. I don’t know how many times someone asks if anyone else with Kennedy’s Disease is having problems with anger and/or depression. The term ‘easily angered’ is often used.


The equation: I + V + A
  • I = Irritable: cranky, easily irritated or annoyed; abnormally sensitive to a stimulus
  • V = Volatile: Liable to change rapidly and unpredictably, esp. for the worse
  • A = Anger: A strong feeling of annoyance, displeasure, or hostility
If a person is already irritated (or frustrated) and something unpredictable happens; explosive anger could be the result.


Personally, I know that I am more easily irritated these days. I am not certain it is a side effect of having Kennedy’s Disease, but I do know that often it is the result of my inability to perform normal daily tasks or the accumulation of several frustrations during a day. Then, when I realize I overreacted, I become frustrated again because I shouldn’t have let it get to me the way it did.


Perhaps we are dealing with another part of the acceptance process or as I call it; learning to live with Kennedy’s Disease. Whatever it is, it is not acceptable behavior.


Chemical Help
prescription drugsI know that some people are using prescriptions drugs to help control the volatility. Personally, I do not like taking any drugs, other than over-the-counter, to help control something because of the potential side effects and the possibility of addiction. That might change some day if my blood pressure increases, for example. If these prescribed drugs help someone, however, without doing any harm; then more power to them.


Questions for today
How about you? Have you noticed a change in your tolerance? Are you more easily angered today? What do you believe is behind this change?  What have you found that helps with this issue?


I look forward to hearing from you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment. By taking a moment to share your thoughts you add much to these articles. The articles then become more than just something I said or believe. In addition, by adding a comment, you might just be helping the next reader by sharing your opinion, experience, or a helpful tip. You can comment below or by sending me an email. I look forward to hearing from you.