Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Now there is just one

American FlagI lost my brother yesterday. Kerm had Kennedy’s Disease, yet, he was one of the most positive people I have ever known. I don’t believe I ever heard him have a negative comment about living with this condition. And, that is saying a lot for someone who lived for 78 years.

In a family of ten children (seven boys and three girls), three were born with Kennedy’s Disease. Two of the three with the defect have now passed.

This last year was tough on Kerm. He came down with the flu a year ago January and it weakened him considerably. He recovered somewhat, but not fully. Even near the end when he could no longer dress himself and most food was almost impossible to swallow, he accepted it as just another day in the life of living with the disease. He never complained about something he could do anything about.

Kerm exercised almost every day. Whenever we were together, he would show me his latest exercises and how well off he was ‘at his age’. Whenever we talked, he always encouraged me by word and deed that living with Kennedy’s Disease was ‘mind over matter’. Kerm was just not a brother, he was a friend and also a role model in many ways.

Kerm will be missed, but, more importantly, he will be remembered.



11 comments:

  1. Bruce, Please accept my sincere condolences on the loss of your brother, Kerm. He sounds like he was a wonderful man and brother.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bruce, you describe a wonderful brother whom you where blessed with. My prayers are with you. Jonny

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry Bruce, it is so sad to hear of another Kennedy's passing.

    I had no idea you were one of ten, a big family! Sad that three had Kennedy's. My husband has three brothers and he so far is the only one with Kennedy's.

    My thoughts and prayers are with and your family.
    (Lolo)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bruce, sorry to hear that your brother has passed. He sounds just like a big brother that I have. My prayers go out to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are so sorry to hear of your loss of your brother. We love you. We are holding you and your family in our prayers!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you all for your kind comments here and on Facebook.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bruce sorry to hear of Kerm's passing. Like you he showed a good way to live with life's challenges. We are also holding you and your family in our prayers.
    David

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bruce, my deepest sympathy goes out to you and your family regarding your loss. Kerm sounded like a wonderful brother and man. May you find comfort in memories and time. Ron M.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Please accept my condolences on the passing of your brother. Your post has inspired me to get back to my exercises.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bob, that is wonderful news. Kerm would be pleased to know he has motivated another person to exercise.

    Thanks also for your kind thoughts.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment. By taking a moment to share your thoughts you add much to these articles. The articles then become more than just something I said or believe. In addition, by adding a comment, you might just be helping the next reader by sharing your opinion, experience, or a helpful tip. You can comment below or by sending me an email. I look forward to hearing from you.