Sunday, February 12, 2012

Pay-it-forward

payitforward

Last week I sent out the Kennedy’s Disease Association’s 2011 annual report. As in past years, it always amazes me how much can be accomplished by an all-volunteer non-profit in one year. At the same time I consider how much more could be done with more volunteers.

I have never been a proponent of hiring an office staff or paying a commission to telephone solicitors. I hate those ‘canned’ phone calls and all the mailings that include small giveaways in hopes of enticing you to give.

Yet, it would be nice to have more ‘feet on the ground’ that are focused on the KDA’s work. We do so much good with so few resources. It still amazes me that 90¢ of every dollar spent by the KDA goes to Kennedy’s Disease research (80¢) and Kennedy’s Disease education (10¢).

When I review the financial reports of some of the larger non-profits, I cannot believe how much is spent on salaries, overhead and fund raising. On the other hand, most of these larger non-profits seem to be quite effective in raising needed funds.

KDA Logo I don’t know how much longer I will serve as president of the KDA, but I do know that these last seven years have been some of the most rewarding years of my life. I have made many friends and shared many stories. I have helped some people and have been helped by so many more. In some ways it reminds me of the concept “pay-it-forward.”

Today’s article is a long-winded way of saying “THANK YOU” to all of your who have donated your time and/or money to make the Kennedy’s Disease Association so effective. Without you there would be no KDA.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment. By taking a moment to share your thoughts you add much to these articles. The articles then become more than just something I said or believe. In addition, by adding a comment, you might just be helping the next reader by sharing your opinion, experience, or a helpful tip. You can comment below or by sending me an email. I look forward to hearing from you.