Sunday, April 1, 2018

Who’s Driving the Bus?

I believe there are choices in life that have to be made. I am not talking about simple, easy choices (like what should I eat for dinner). I am talking about “life changing” choices. Often these choices are not always evident. Some have to be discovered before they can be made. It is important that we do not close the book on ourselves because of your situation

I know I keep repeating this, but it is important. Kennedy’s Disease is a slowly progressing disorder. It is often ten or twenty years between the time of onset and our first real life-changing issues. During that time, we have the opportunity to make several choices. As the severity of the condition increases, even more choices will have to be made. We cannot just shut down. We have to recognize the choices and opportunities available, and decide what is best for us.

For those of us living with Kennedy’s Disease, the minute we give up the steering wheel (stop fighting, stop exercising, or lose hope), we become a passenger and no longer have a say as to where we are going and how we get there.

For me, I am a ‘man’ and I still like driving. I also like to know where I am going. I might not always stop and ask for directions, but that does not mean I am lost. 😜


I have a saying, "A bad attitude is the only handicap in life." What I mean by that is we can never give up hope. We have to believe there is a light at the end of the tunnel. We cannot give up on ourselves because of our current situation or fears of what might happen in the future. When we do, we no longer have any choices and someone else will make the decisions for us. 


In other words, you have to be your own advocate for your physical, mental, emotional and spiritual health. I also believe that those of us living with this condition need a good co-pilot. Our spouse, significant other, soul mate, or best friend becomes a critical element in our future success. She or he needs to be involved in the decision-making process. A partnership in the truest sense is needed because we cannot always see the forest because of the trees.

So, I will ask again, who’s driving the bus?


Bus Photo: https://www.maxim.com/tag/vw-bus
Quote: https://quotlr.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment. By taking a moment to share your thoughts you add much to these articles. The articles then become more than just something I said or believe. In addition, by adding a comment, you might just be helping the next reader by sharing your opinion, experience, or a helpful tip. You can comment below or by sending me an email. I look forward to hearing from you.