Wednesday, April 25, 2018

Trust Issues

There is a proverb, “Pride comes before the fall.” For those of us living with Kennedy’s Disease, you can replace ‘pride’ with ‘trust’. I found I could get in a world of trouble if I trust too much.

Before Kennedy’s Disease, I trusted that my muscles and reflexes would be there for me when I needed them. Whether involved in work or play, my muscles and reflexes could be counted on.

For example:

  • If I tripped, I would catch myself before I fell. 
  • If I dropped something like a tool, ball or cup, almost every time I would catch it before it hit the ground. 
  • If I became tired walking, biking or hiking, I would take a short break and everything would be fine. 
  • Nothing was ever too far to walk. 
  • If something was too heavy, it just meant I needed a friend to help carry it. 
  • I never worried about climbing stairs. 
  • I never thought about not being able to get up from the ground. 
So here is my story about how ‘trust’ got me in trouble once again. 


Knock on wood, I have not kissed the floor in several years. I always placed safety first and it paid off. For example, one leg is weaker than the other one. I am aware of this and compensate for it. 

Two weeks ago, I was doing my normal standing exercises—the ones I have been doing for years. While turning around, my stronger leg buckled. The tile floor and I became intimately involved with each other. They say love hurts, but so do falls on tile floors.

Two weeks later, I am still struggling with trust issues. Like a jilted lover, I am finding it difficult to forgive and forget. I am not certain I can ever trust that leg again.

Stay safe and upright!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment. By taking a moment to share your thoughts you add much to these articles. The articles then become more than just something I said or believe. In addition, by adding a comment, you might just be helping the next reader by sharing your opinion, experience, or a helpful tip. You can comment below or by sending me an email. I look forward to hearing from you.