Saturday, September 23, 2017

Feel Good Drug


I guess you could say I am addicted. First thing every morning I need to have it. Afterward, everything is good—
Real Good

Now I can face the day.

Every evening, I need another fix to 'smooth things out'. Now I am ready for a good night’s sleep.

If you know me or read my blog regularly, you know I am talking about my daily exercise routine. When I exercise, my body releases chemicals called endorphins. “Endorphins are among the brain chemicals known as neurotransmitters, which function to transmit electrical signals within the nervous system. They are morphine-like chemicals produced by the body that help diminish pain while triggering positive feelings. Endorphins are sometimes referred to as the brain's "feel-good" chemicals, and are the body's natural painkillers.”(1)

For a long time I did not know meditation also releases endorphins. I guess that is why I became hooked on meditation many years ago. I also read chocolate and chili peppers will release them. Who would have ‘thunk it’?




I do not mind being called an “endorphin junky.” I could be called a lot worse.

Once again, it shows that we need to be stewards of our mental, emotional and physical health.

Living with Kennedy's Disease requires me to be at my best every day. I had my fix for the day. How about you?


Photo:  https://www.fastcompany.com/3025957/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment. By taking a moment to share your thoughts you add much to these articles. The articles then become more than just something I said or believe. In addition, by adding a comment, you might just be helping the next reader by sharing your opinion, experience, or a helpful tip. You can comment below or by sending me an email. I look forward to hearing from you.