Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Wellness Physical



I just returned from my annual wellness physical. This review is an important part of my taking ownership for my health.

A couple of weeks before the physical, I review my Kennedy’s Disease journal for the last year. Important information regarding changes to my health are highlighted and tagged for easy review. I take this information and write a year in review synopsis for my doctor. Changes in strength, capabilities, and other health issues shown including:

  • What changed, improved, worsened or appeared?
  • When the situation first appeared or changed?
  • How long did it last?
  • What impact it had on my health?

The synopsis is the first thing I discuss with my doctor. It seems to be a good starting point for other health related discussion topics. This morning’s list generated a spirited discussion concerning issues around exercise, swallowing, tongue atrophy, specialty needs in regards to remaining mobile, pneumonia, etc. The best part of these discussions is the catch-ball moments. I explain the situation, he asks follow-up questions, we discuss potential needs and options, and we end up with a course of action and/or understanding. 

The good news from today’s examination; I’ll probably live another day or two. J I am in good health. My diet is good. I am managing my Kennedy’s Disease. I have the support of my doctor should I need any help. 
 
For several years I have written about the benefits of maintaining a health and exercise journal. My previous blood workup reports are a part of this journal. At any time I can compare months or years to determine what has changed and why. If you haven’t started your journal yet, please give it a try. It might just change your life and how you live it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment. By taking a moment to share your thoughts you add much to these articles. The articles then become more than just something I said or believe. In addition, by adding a comment, you might just be helping the next reader by sharing your opinion, experience, or a helpful tip. You can comment below or by sending me an email. I look forward to hearing from you.