Monday, February 22, 2016

It’s Been 40 Years …



Who would’ve believed that when I woke up in the middle of the night forty years ago with a Charley Horse that cramp was just the beginning of the story. Those cramps were real buggers in those days. Sometimes they would last for 15-30 minutes. 

Back then, I just wrote them off because of my physical fitness program. I pushed myself in those days. I loved racquetball, tennis and running. I also worked out with weights three days a week. I viewed cramping as a part of the process of pushing myself, and the need for greater hydration. 

It wasn’t long after the cramping that I began to experience something that I called restless leg syndrome. My wife first noticed it and she brought it to my attention. The leg movement, like twitching, would last for hours. And, no matter what I tried, it didn’t help.   

Yet, for all of the strange happenings in my legs, I never felt better or healthier. In this case, ignorance can be bliss. I am so thankful I never went to a doctor because of the health issues. A doctor would have wanted to run some tests and perhaps prescribe medications. He/she probably would have advised me to back off in my fitness training to see if that helped. 

Ignorance was the best fit for me at the time. I am hot certain I could have handled knowing the truth and the ‘what ifs’ that go along with that knowledge. Perhaps knowing the truth would have changed my life when I was in the prime of my life. The reality of the actual condition, Kennedy’s Disease, along with the confirmation about fifteen years later, came soon enough. In the meantime, I lived a great life. Never once have I said, “I wish I would’ve known earlier.”

But, ignorance isn’t always blissful. What if a person has a treatable health condition or if diagnosing a condition early can improve the chances of curing it? The rules change!

That’s my story, however, and I’m sticking to it. 

Live your life the best way you can.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment. By taking a moment to share your thoughts you add much to these articles. The articles then become more than just something I said or believe. In addition, by adding a comment, you might just be helping the next reader by sharing your opinion, experience, or a helpful tip. You can comment below or by sending me an email. I look forward to hearing from you.