Saturday, April 11, 2015

Rules - I hate rules



Rules were always frustrating for me when I was young. I usually looked for ways to get around the rules. Sometimes I was successful and other times I failed. But it never stopped me from trying. As I have matured, rules tend to make me ponder something, i.e., consider their meaning when it applies to my life. 

My daughter posted this on her Facebook page yesterday. I’ve read similar ‘words of wisdom’, but this one is short, concise and on target. 



Yes, living with Kennedy’s Disease is a physical phenomenon. It is also a mental and emotional issue. Frustration, guilt, anger, fear and embarrassment are all part of the process leading toward acceptance. And, these ‘rules’ are about living a life filled with peace and happiness. 


  • Live in the present
  • Take no thought of what others think
  • Stop comparing what was to what is
  • Realize that you are responsible for your own happiness
  • And, most importantly, living with Kennedy’s Disease is not a death sentence. It is a new and different way of living a fulfilling and happy life.

2 comments:

  1. As a person with KD, I can positively endorse all of these 'rules'. As my condition progressed and my normal life activities became more limited, I spent a lot of time thinking about what I used to be able to do. I found that spending time on this line of thought always caused a dark cloud to form over my outlook on life. It is so easy to spend time making these comparisons but I results in nothing good, only bad. So I decided to stop wasting time with thoughts on what I have lost. I am so much better for it in every way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jameson, an excellent example of what these rules were all about. Thanks for sharing. "Live for today."

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment. By taking a moment to share your thoughts you add much to these articles. The articles then become more than just something I said or believe. In addition, by adding a comment, you might just be helping the next reader by sharing your opinion, experience, or a helpful tip. You can comment below or by sending me an email. I look forward to hearing from you.