Monday, August 6, 2012

I’m addicted

Okay, I admit it, I am addicted to endorphins. 

Wikipedia explains that Endorphins ("endogenous morphine") are endogenous opioid peptides that function as neurotransmitters. They are produced by the pituitary gland and the hypothalamus in vertebrates during exercise, excitement, pain, consumption of spicy food, love and orgasm, and they resemble the opiates in their abilities to produce analgesia and a feeling of well-being.
 
endorphin-release

Every day I exercise and every other day my long program goes 90-105 minutes on average. When I finish my workout I feel so good … a high. Life is good, everything appears more positive, and I sense I am more in control.

No, it is not a “runner’s high” like I use to experience, but it is still good and quite enjoyable.

One of my favorite activities after I finish exercising is to take my dog for a walk through the woods and around the lake. I am always amazed how different the world looks after exercising. It is more sensual and enjoyable probably because I am breathing better, seeing and smelling more, and just more relaxed … free of stress.

endorphins-happyIf I am going to be addicted to something, I definitely want it to be endorphins.

I read this the other day and liked it: 
You are only one workout away
from a good mood.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment. By taking a moment to share your thoughts you add much to these articles. The articles then become more than just something I said or believe. In addition, by adding a comment, you might just be helping the next reader by sharing your opinion, experience, or a helpful tip. You can comment below or by sending me an email. I look forward to hearing from you.