Thursday, October 28, 2010

Just when we think we have it tough …

I wonder how often this happens to one of us.  We are having a particularly “down” day and wondering how much worse it can get when …
  • you see a news article on the TV
  • a friend sends you an email with a link to a story
  • or, you read about someone in the newspaper
The other day I was experiencing some pain and more than normal weakness.  My morning exercise program had not gone well.  I was a little grumpy, more frustrated than anything, with the colder weather and its impact on me.

Later that morning, I was sitting at the computer wondering “what next,” when a friend sent me an email titled, “The most inspirational fisherman ever.”  Since I was not in a good mood, I almost deleted the email without watching the video.  But, since it had come from a friend, I click on the link. 

clay dyer

When the browser opened, I saw a picture of a fisherman in a bass boat.  The caption below the picture read, “The next time you think life’s handed you a hard knock, take a look at this video and learn what it means to have the spunk and determination to overcome hard knocks – and the rewards that can come from simply putting adversity aside and doing your best.”  Well, am I glad I watched it.  It was just the “kick in the pants” I needed that morning.  

Clay Dyer is a guy that loves to fish.  Since he has no legs and only one partial arm (no hands), he does everything just a little different than the rest of us.  For example, Clay has to use his teeth to remove the hook from a fish he catches.  He uses his tongue to tie knots in his fishing line.  His chin and partial arm are all that Clay needs to compete at the professional bass tournament level.  Most importantly, he has a goal and one that he, as well as many others, believe he will achieve some day.  He wants to “make the cut.”

Dyer_Clay_0804_cast_370_BF

Please watch the video.  I believe you will find it well worth your time.  I sure hope that he achieves his dream.  If anyone deserves it, Clay Dyer does.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment. By taking a moment to share your thoughts you add much to these articles. The articles then become more than just something I said or believe. In addition, by adding a comment, you might just be helping the next reader by sharing your opinion, experience, or a helpful tip. You can comment below or by sending me an email. I look forward to hearing from you.