Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Muscle Memory


Several years ago I read an article about how motor neurons and muscles in athletes develop some type of coordinated synergy so the actual physical movements involved in running, playing tennis or football, for example, are almost automatic (instinctual) … not requiring any forethought. I have known that feeling and it was a wonderful experience. Unfortunately, I haven’t experienced that sensation for over twenty-five years and I miss it.
Today, I have no self-confidence in my muscles being able to support me or react in time to prevent a fall. When the leg muscles are fatigued, for example, they might give out at any time and I could drop to the floor without having a chance to catch myself. Today, I have to focus on locking the knees while standing or pushing off with the leg and arm muscles when trying to stand up from a seated position. It is now a coordinated effort between the brain and the muscles. Any deviation from focusing on the current activity could result in a fall. I can no longer be walking and have other thoughts running through my mind distracting me. If that happens, I am an accident waiting to happen. I believe the statement about being able to 'walk and chew gum at the same time' is appropriate.

1 comment:

  1. Bruce, yesterday's post really struck a cord with me. I remember two years ago, walking across a parking lot to enter an office for work. There was no ramp, just a 12 inch high curb, as I got closer to the curb, I started to feel confused. I suddenly realized that my legs did not know how to step up on the curb. I spent the last 15 feet of the walk thinking about how to step up on the curb without falling. I also can no longer walk without concentrating on the walk...right foot-up-forward-down, left foot-up-forward-down...Thank you for the blog...Jim

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment. By taking a moment to share your thoughts you add much to these articles. The articles then become more than just something I said or believe. In addition, by adding a comment, you might just be helping the next reader by sharing your opinion, experience, or a helpful tip. You can comment below or by sending me an email. I look forward to hearing from you.