Sunday, October 10, 2010

Well, I finally did it

I pulled the trigger this week and bought a van with the VMI Northstar system.  I have been looking, comparing, and procrastinating for over six months now and the right deal finally came along.

About two weeks ago a 2007 Honda Odyssey EX became available (for sale by owner).  The can only had 15,600 miles on it.  Since I am a Honda fan, the vehicle appealed to me immediately.  I drove it, kicked the tires, asked a bunch of questions, negotiated a price, and bought it.
2007 Honday Odyssey
I must say that my initial impression of the VMI system is very positive.  It appears to be well thought out and user friendly.  I am having an EZ-Lock system installed on Monday.  This will allow me to ride up the ramp and into the driver’s position, lock the chair in, and drive away.  It also allows me to use the original six-way power seat if I am so inclined.  Yesterday I did something that I normally would never do.  I read the manual (both Honda and VMI).  I am glad I did because the EX has a lot of bells and whistles similar to my Town and Country Limited.

2007 Honda Odyssey interior
The Braun ‘Joey’ has served me well and I recommend it as a good system to haul around a chair that the back can fold down.  However, it no longer allowed me the freedom I need nor is a fit for my new wheelchair.  The VMI system is the next step up for me that allows me to retire my Jazzy.

I will let you know how I like the VMI system in the months ahead.  If you have any experience with that system, I would appreciate any tips on maintenance or any other suggestions that might help a novice like me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment. By taking a moment to share your thoughts you add much to these articles. The articles then become more than just something I said or believe. In addition, by adding a comment, you might just be helping the next reader by sharing your opinion, experience, or a helpful tip. You can comment below or by sending me an email. I look forward to hearing from you.