Sunday, January 8, 2017

Slipping and Sliding

Some days I am so thankful I don’t have to go to work. The last few days have been no fun. Temps in the teens with wind-chills in the single digits. We had a little snow that turned to ice. It won’t melt for another day or two, I’m sure.

When it’s like this, I tend to hibernate. I haven’t left the house in several days. Our Beagle, Fred, has a winter coat to wear, but he still can’t stop shivering when he is outside. Out Spitz, Mindy, on the other hand, loves the cold and snow. Her only frustration is that Fred doesn’t want to leave the garage.

We lived in Pennsylvania the last several years before retiring. The cold gave my muscles all kinds of problems. Even worse was the ice. I never felt safe. Often, I had to wait in my car until someone arrived to help me into the office. Once I was indoors, I never left until closing time.

We moved to the South for two important reasons. The first was to be near my wife’s family. The second was to escape the cold. Fortunately, winters are short and ice storms are infrequent. Because I was born and raised in Minnesota, I am often asked if I miss the snow. My response is always the same. NO. If I want snow, I can drive two hours north or east and be in the mountains.


Right now, all I am waiting for is the warm up in a couple of days. We’re supposed to be in the 40s and 50s again. That is a winter’s day I can enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment. By taking a moment to share your thoughts you add much to these articles. The articles then become more than just something I said or believe. In addition, by adding a comment, you might just be helping the next reader by sharing your opinion, experience, or a helpful tip. You can comment below or by sending me an email. I look forward to hearing from you.