Throat and Tongue Muscles
Swallowing issues are something that many of us experience later in life. The thought of not being able to comfortably eat the foods I love bothers me.
And, choking is always a concern for me and my wife. For that reason I practice the following exercises daily … and they seem to really make a difference in my life.
- Bite your Tongue: Bite down lightly on your tongue to hold it in position. Swallow ten times (or more) while holding the tongue between the teeth. Perform this exercise every day.
- Pucker your Lips: Make the sound “OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO” as you pucker you lips. You should be able to feel your throat muscles vibrate (stretch). Continue until you have to take a breath. Perform ten of these each day.
- Stick Out your Tongue: Stick out your tongue as far as it will go. Pull it back inside your mouth fast. Repeat as many times as you can and as quickly as you can.
- Vibrate the Throat: Say “MAH-MAH-MAH-MAH” as quickly as you can. Be sure there is an M and an AH each time. Then say “LAH-LAH-LAH-LAH” as quickly and accurately as you can. Perform this routine five times alternating between the sounds. [Strengthens throat muscles]
- Clear the Throat: Clear the throat (um-hum) several times a day by exaggerating the process and sound.