Sunday, September 11, 2011

2,977

911-WTC Like everyone else, I remember where I was and what I was thinking as I watched the World Trade Center’s North Tower burning. I kept on asking, “Was this a mistake ... some freak accident?” How could any plane fly into the tower? An act of terrorism was the furthest thing from my mind at that moment.

Then as my wife and I watched the second plane hit the South Tower the reality flooded over us. We sat there in our family room, holding hands, mesmerized, not being able to move away from the TV. How could this be happening?

It seemed like only minutes later that ABC News switched to Washington, DC and we hear that Flight 77 crashed into the Pentagon. And then Flight 93 crashes in Shanksville, PA. I remember thinking, “My God, what next?

2,977 were killed and thousands more (family and friends) had a piece of them also die that day. These numbers do not take into account the thousands of firefighters, police officers and medical staff that participated in the rescue.  But every one of us was affected and we will never forget what happened.

Our view of reality changed that day. It was hard for any of us to believe that there are certain people in this world that want to kill innocent men, women and children (non-combatants) to further their cause.

“9/11” became a rallying cry ... like “Pearl Harbor” to those in the 1940s. “9/11” is a way for all Americans to join together for a common cause and belief. And like Pearl Harbor, as a result of this atrocity, our nation is stronger.

Today is one of those days where the entire nation comes together in thought and prayer. No matter where we are in the world I am certain that we will all will pause and remember.

World Trade Center-Danny Hahlbolm

World Trade Center Collage
               by Danny Hahlbohm

We must never forget!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment. By taking a moment to share your thoughts you add much to these articles. The articles then become more than just something I said or believe. In addition, by adding a comment, you might just be helping the next reader by sharing your opinion, experience, or a helpful tip. You can comment below or by sending me an email. I look forward to hearing from you.