Sunday, July 25, 2010

Tuesday I had an unpleasant surprise


I thought I had outgrown them. They are something I have not missed at all. Now that it happened, I am concerned that maybe I was wrong and you never really do outgrow them. Perhaps this was just a fluke ... a once in a decade event. Or, maybe I was just blessed with 10+ years without any.

You know what I am talking about; MUSCLE CRAMPS! Yes, those terrible cramps that wake us up in the middle of the night and would often ache for days afterwards.

Tuesday morning I began to have cramps in my right triceps. By Tuesday noon I was in a lot of pain and constantly massaging the ever-intensifying cramps. By late afternoon, my right upper arm was very sore and almost any movement would cause another cramp. By bedtime the right shoulder, wrist and hand were also sore probably because of constantly trying to find ways to relieve the cramping. The strange thing is that it has been so long since my last serious cramp that I had almost forgot how intense they could be. I just assumed that since so many of my muscles had atrophied that the cramps could never be this intense again.

Tuesday night I was concerned what might happen if I have cramping during or after my Wednesday morning full workout session. I took one Ibuprofen tablet that evening and hoped the aching would dissipate. Well, fortunately, it worked. I woke up without any pain and have not had any further cramping. My Wednesday and Friday exercise programs went very well ... without any pains or concerns. My strength seems to be fine also.

I still find it strange that it has been years since I experienced any severe cramping. I need to watch this closely to see if there is any correlation to muscle strength or any other cramping in that area. I am hoping it was just a fluke ... that once in a decade event I mentioned earlier. I sure hope so, because they really are not much fun.

Do any of you older codgers still have muscle cramps? If not, when was the last time that you remember having a severe cramp?

11 comments:

  1. Bruce:
    My wife (a non-KD sufferer except for having to take care of me) suffers from unexpected muscle cramps very similar to what you described.
    As soon as she begins experiencing the cramps, she takes about a teaspoon (or a small package) of old regular yellow mustard.
    Not sure if this works for everyone but she swears by it. Please let me know what results you experience if you decide to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Luis, I have never heard of that, but I would be willing to try it IF (and I do mean if) it happens again.

    BTW, Tuesday post will be about caregivers and their almost no-win situation.

    As always, thanks for reading my blog and commenting.

    Bruce

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bruce,

    I had severe cramps prior to the onset of muscle weakness in my early thirties. I remember that they were so severe it would wake me out of a sound sleep, and I would be unable to get back to sleep. Like you, the muscles could ache for days.
    I haven't had leg, stomach or arm cramps in almost 30 years now. I wonder if it is a symptom to the next phase of the disease. I don't look forward to those again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stan, thanks for reading my blog and commenting. If I have a choice, I do not want any more phases that involve cramping.:-)

    Bruce

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Bruce,
    Sorry to hear about your painful muscle cramps :( Muscle cramping can also occur if your electrolytes are out-of-balance. This can occur if you are dehydrated for any reason (not enough fluid intake, excessive sweating, too much caffeine, to mention a few). A calcium deficit, in particular, can result in muscle cramping. A quick and handy solution is to drink some milk or pop a couple of Tums tablets. Here's hoping you won't have a recurrence!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Robbie, I do drink plenty of water each day (my drink of choice).

    As always, thanks for reading and commenting.
    Bruce

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bruce - like most KDers I had very severe cramps in my 30s. I am 61 now and still get severe bouts but thankfully only once or twice a year. I have been lucky that the effect of KD on my life has been minimal. I am not sure of the reason but I have been able to keep quite fit attending the gym about 3 times a week and walking a lot. I like to think that the cramps are positive for me and a sign that the muscles are working. Perhaps your exercise routine is enhancing your muscle strength and just maybe, could be a difficult but positive side affect of KD.
    Hope this helps
    John

    ReplyDelete
  8. John, thanks for reading my blog and your comments. I do enjoy exercising and I will just hope it is a positive sign.

    Whatever it is, it brings back some ugly memories of the old days.

    Thanks again,
    Bruce

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bruce,
    I posted on the KD forum for the first time today and came across your website. I love it! You do great work and have very interesting articles.

    I've been suspecting KD for awhile but I haven't been diagnosed. At 31 years old and 6' tall, my normal bodyweight should be 180 lbs. I weigh 225; almost 50 lbs of muscle from a decade at the gym. My cramps are so severe and so frequent that I want to scream! The simplest task will cause a cramp that I have to fight to get rid of. Just one set with light weights can cause cramping. Since a few posters said they haven't had cramps since their 30's, maybe it does have to do with muscle mass? If I do end up with a KD DX, I'll be the perfect lab rat to test your theory.

    Greg

    ReplyDelete
  10. Greg thanks for reading my blog and commenting. When I was in my early thirties I had terrible cramping. I was exercising every day ... running, lifting weights, and playing racquetball. I was in the best shape of my life, but I paid a price for being in shape ... the severe cramping.

    Ask your doctor about taking quinine pills. They might help with your cramping. My neurologist recommended it to me. Let me know if it works and if you ever get tested.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bruce and others, I have had leg cramps at night for years. We found a remedy called-Leg cramps by Hylands .About 10 bucks for a bottle and available at health food stores and some drug-stores. No prescription needed. I don't know how it works but it does.Greg in Maine

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment. By taking a moment to share your thoughts you add much to these articles. The articles then become more than just something I said or believe. In addition, by adding a comment, you might just be helping the next reader by sharing your opinion, experience, or a helpful tip. You can comment below or by sending me an email. I look forward to hearing from you.