Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Embarrassing Moments – Part I



All of us with Kennedy's Disease have to learn to live with embarrassments. Some are major, while others are minor. And, even though they were embarrassing at the moment, they also leave us with fond memories and an occasional laugh for years afterwards.

This will be my first post on the subject of embarrassments in my life. This happened several years ago, but is still fresh in my mind. At the time, I had not told anyone at work that I had this health issue.

Background: Men with Kennedy's Disease learn early on that the motor neurons do not always function in synchrony. Sometimes muscles will receive signals hours or even days later. This is what causes the twitches and spasms in the muscle groups. Because of these delayed signals, you might receive a muscle response when you do not want it. My case in point …

Customer Appreciation Dinner – Our top customers were in town for a marketing seminar and dinner party. We were all standing around before dinner having cocktails. I was wandering between customers and carrying on polite conversations. At the time, I was talking with two of our customers while holding a Club Soda in my left hand so my right hand was free to shake hands (I am a non-drinker much to the disrespect of my older brother). While discussing the golf outing scheduled for the next day, my left wrist received a delayed signal. Without warning, the wrist just turned inwards as if I was taking a drink. My glass turned over dumping the contents on my shoes.

The two customers just stared at my shoes without saying anything. I was just as shocked as they were. Needless to say, I turned a little red. I then recovered, smiled, and as I bent down to wipe off my shoes, I commented, "I think it is time I switch to water for the rest of the evening." We all had a good laugh, but I never forgot the moment. Fortunately, the only thing hurt was my pride (and it bruises easy).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment. By taking a moment to share your thoughts you add much to these articles. The articles then become more than just something I said or believe. In addition, by adding a comment, you might just be helping the next reader by sharing your opinion, experience, or a helpful tip. You can comment below or by sending me an email. I look forward to hearing from you.