Thursday, February 23, 2017

Phlegm Story - Part II

Back in October of last year, I wrote an article, ThePhlegm Story. At the time, it seemed I was in a never-ending battle with phlegm. It wasn’t just the quantity of phlegm, it was also the thickness of it. Looking back, I am amazed how the issue affected my daily life and my strength.

I am pleased to report that for the last two months the phlegm issue is under control. Let me tell you what I discovered and what I did about the problem.  Note: Please check with your doctor before trying anything drug related, even if it is over the counter.

First, I had a good discussion with my doctor about the issue. He came up with two potential causes and we discussed what to try initially.

Second, I found that certain foods generate far more phlegm than others do. Dairy products are now consumed in moderation. Soy oil products can also be an issue. If I am aware of what I’m eating and when I eat them, it makes a difference. I try to consume phlegm-generating products for breakfast or lunch. This gives me several hours to clear my system before bedtime.

Third, choking generates an over-abundance of phlegm. If I am cautious when chewing and swallowing, the choking issue is not an issue or at least an infrequent issue.

Fourth, when I am generating more phlegm, a half-teaspoon (2.5 ml) of guaifenesin (i.e. Mucinex or a similar generic product) in the evening clears the problem right up within a few hours. Only rarely in the beginning did I have to take a half-teaspoon earlier in the day.  And, remember to drink more water when using guaifenesin. I find it helpful to have a glass of water first thing in the morning.


A side effect of this phlegm issue was the constant clearing of my throat (several times an hour). Recently, I might clear my throat 3-4 times a day. 

1 comment:

  1. In addition to using guaifenesin or Mucinex, there is a product called Alkalol which can be used to wash out the nose and thin the mucus. Details at http://www.alkalolcompany.com/alkalol/
    I have found it to be very effective.

    As Bruce mentioned, be sure to check with your doctor before trying any new product, even if over-the-counter.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment. By taking a moment to share your thoughts you add much to these articles. The articles then become more than just something I said or believe. In addition, by adding a comment, you might just be helping the next reader by sharing your opinion, experience, or a helpful tip. You can comment below or by sending me an email. I look forward to hearing from you.