Friday, August 21, 2015

Real Courage



“Courage is not having the strength to go on;
it is going on when you don’t have the strength.”

I read the above quote from Theodore Roosevelt this morning and told myself I needed to write a blog article.

We have a friend who has just completed her cancer treatments. She has had chemo, radiation and surgery. During this long grueling battle, there were times she couldn’t eat, other times she couldn’t sleep, times she was so weak she could hardly move, and many times where she experienced terrible pain. Her attitude amazes me. She knows she is going to beat this. 

I still remember a friend who was near death. The cancer had spread throughout her body. Even though she couldn’t eat, couldn’t really sleep because of the pain, and was so weak she could hardly move, she always asked how I was doing. She felt terrible that I had Kennedy’s Disease and she prayed for science to discover a cure for it. She accepted that her time on this earth was near its end, so she focused her energy and prayers on others who still might have a chance. That is real courage and strength.

We all know people who have beaten the odds. People who found a way to maintain a positive attitude during ridiculously difficult times. They are survivors–if not physically, than within our memories. Their courage supports us during our own difficult times. 

When I have the occasional lapse and my attitude slumps, I just think of these two friends for a needed adjustment. How can I wimp out when they didn’t?

Photo: Schuitema - Human Excellence Group


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment. By taking a moment to share your thoughts you add much to these articles. The articles then become more than just something I said or believe. In addition, by adding a comment, you might just be helping the next reader by sharing your opinion, experience, or a helpful tip. You can comment below or by sending me an email. I look forward to hearing from you.