Saturday, January 25, 2014

Another type of handicap

Besides ‘pride’, ‘trust’ is also a handicap to me. Remember the quote, “Pride comes before the fall.” You can replace ‘pride’ with ‘trust’ because both can get you in a world of trouble.

Before Kennedy’s Disease, I trusted that my muscles and reflexes would be there for me when I needed them. Whether work or play, my muscles and reflexes could be counted on.

For example:
  • If I tripped, I would catch myself before I fell.
  • If I dropped something like a tool, ball or cup, I would catch it before it hit the ground.
  • If I became tired walking, biking or hiking, I would take a short break and everything would be fine.
  • Nothing was ever too far.
  • If something was too heavy, it just meant I needed a friend to help carry it.
  • I never thought about not being able to get up from the ground.
  • I never worried about climbing a ladder or the stairs.
Pride-Trust

Like ‘pride’, ‘trust’ always seemed to get me in trouble as my Kennedy’s Disease symptoms progressed. I felt I could still do whatever, whenever, until proven wrong. And, often, the proof was much worse than just a loss in trust.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment. By taking a moment to share your thoughts you add much to these articles. The articles then become more than just something I said or believe. In addition, by adding a comment, you might just be helping the next reader by sharing your opinion, experience, or a helpful tip. You can comment below or by sending me an email. I look forward to hearing from you.