Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Just Keep Moving

Living with Kennedy's Disease provides its own set of challenges.  I have also found that the older I get, the more I need to keep moving. If I don’t, I stiffen up real quick. Once that happens, it becomes even more difficult to move.

For some reason my wheelchair causes me the most problems. If I sit for more than a couple of hours in my chair, I find it difficult to move when I first stand. Road trips really cause me problems because I am sitting behind the wheel for a few hours and then sitting some more in the chair.

JustKeepMoving-BubblewsdotcomBecause of this, I make it a point to move every two hours. The movement might be as simple as just standing next to a counter and walking in place. Or, if I can ‘safely’ stand and reach for something, I do it.

The best thing I ever did was install a grab bar in the bathroom by the commode. Besides using it to help me stand up, it is where I do my standing exercises every morning. And, whenever I go to the bathroom each day, I use the bar to perform 18 steps in place.

Because of these routines, I end up doing several simple and quick exercises throughout the day. It has made all the difference in the world in regards to feeling better and stronger.

I encourage you to develop your own routines to help keep:
  • You more mobile
  • Your joints and muscles more flexible
  • Your blood pumping and your heart stronger
  • Your lungs functioning at a higher capacity
  • Feeling better and more engaged.
As always, before beginning any exercise program, please consult with your doctor.
justkeepmoving-momtaxjuliedotcom

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment. By taking a moment to share your thoughts you add much to these articles. The articles then become more than just something I said or believe. In addition, by adding a comment, you might just be helping the next reader by sharing your opinion, experience, or a helpful tip. You can comment below or by sending me an email. I look forward to hearing from you.