Tuesday, August 17, 2010

If not acceptance, than what is it?


The other day I was thinking that life has become a little easier (more comfortable) for me. I would like to think the reason for this is my "acceptance" of the disease. Unfortunately, I often still become frustrated when I try to do certain things and cannot. With acceptance, I would think that a person would no longer become frustrated over his inabilities to accomplish menial tasks.

So, if it is not acceptance, than what is it? What has changed over the last several years that makes me feel "good" about life?
  • It is not winter so the muscles and aches are minimal.
  • My new exercise routine has been helpful ... providing confidence, more strength and plenty of endorphins.
  • I have not fallen for over three years.
  • The new wheelchair has been a blessing.
  • The uplift seat in the bathroom has helped greatly.
  • Having a second recliner chair that also lifts you up has been nice.
  • Adding the party deck with ramp access has opened up the backyard to me.
  • The golf cart allows me to take my dog for walks four or five times a day.
  • Our house is in the middle of a forest with all kinds of wildlife.
  • We have some wonderful neighbors and friends that keep us engaged.
  • This blog has given me a vehicle to express what life is like living with Kennedy's Disease.
  • The questions and inquiries from my readers make me feel that there is a purpose beyond just "dumping" idol thoughts into the blog.
  • I am focusing less on the negative and more on the positive aspects of my life.
  • I am more thankful for all the positives in my life (wife, family, critters, friends, etc.).
Perhaps it is an accumulation of all of the above (and so much more) along with a pinch of "acceptance" thrown in for good measure.

2 comments:

  1. Bruce:
    I am so happy for you!!! You seem to have reached a point in life where the positives outnumber the negatives.

    I'm striving to get there but it's not an easy thing. Simple daily tasks still frustrate me every so often. I will be thinking of your article the next time that happens.

    Regards,

    Luis Shimomura

    ReplyDelete
  2. Luis, my friend, it is always good to hear from you.

    Being "thankful" for the daily blessings in one's life goes a long way in helping to accept the disease. And, fortunately, I have so many things to be thankful for.

    We all know that life is a journey. Until we can accept our reality, it is difficult to move on. I am still not totally there, but perhaps I am one step closer. I hope so, anyway.

    Hang in there, Luis, and "stay upright."

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment. By taking a moment to share your thoughts you add much to these articles. The articles then become more than just something I said or believe. In addition, by adding a comment, you might just be helping the next reader by sharing your opinion, experience, or a helpful tip. You can comment below or by sending me an email. I look forward to hearing from you.