Thursday, February 19, 2015

This Too Shall Pass



For those who follow my blog, you know that the above comment is a favorite of mine. The meaning behind it is twofold. (1) Whatever is happening will disappear/go away–whether it is good or bad. Or, (2) my negative feelings or perceptions will pass and life will go on.
__________________________
This last Sunday I woke up with severe weakness and discomfort in my neck. I found it difficult to hold my head up while doing most anything (for example, eating, brushing my teeth and drinking). We went out to lunch with friends on Monday and it was difficult and uncomfortable. The weakness was difficult to handle, but the pain exacerbated the issue. It was then I decided to do something about it. 

The first thing I did was evaluate my routines. Was I doing anything that was different or possibly contributing to the weakness and pain? I realized I have been spending a lot more time writing this last couple of weeks. In the process, I was leaning down and more to my left to work the mouse. Okay, I corrected the posture.

I also applied heat to the neck muscles twice a day for the next two days. That helped with the stiffness and pain.

And, I began performing several neck exercises every 2-3 hours throughout the day. I normally do them only in the morning and evenings. 

Finally, every time I wanted to complain, I told myself, “This too shall pass.” For some reason the statement seems to ease the attitude portion of the problem so I can focus on the physical aspects of it. 
 __________________________
The results: Tuesday, the neck wasn’t any better, but it also wasn’t worse. Wednesday, I had less pain and the neck was not quite as weak. Today, the pain is almost gone and the weakness is even less pronounced. 

Having a problem? Give “This too shall pass” a try and see if it helps.
(Picture: Pinterest and Astrid Terese)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment. By taking a moment to share your thoughts you add much to these articles. The articles then become more than just something I said or believe. In addition, by adding a comment, you might just be helping the next reader by sharing your opinion, experience, or a helpful tip. You can comment below or by sending me an email. I look forward to hearing from you.